Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Dad Old Dad and Trips to Lebanon

Yesterday was a day of debauchery. I'm sorry to our normal fellow-debauchees; it was very spur of the moment. My friend Luke came over and brought two pint bottle of beer: we shared. He also brought a bottle of Spanish wine: we shared and split with Kate and our friend Ted. Then, Luke, Ted, and I did something I've been wanting to do since St. Patrick's Day: Irish Car Bombs. All of that on a stomach filled with only a little sheep cheese. We then watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. That movie was weird. Totally good, but weird.

What a wonderful topic to discuss on a blog about being a new father. Yes, well... just because I'm a father now doesn't mean I can't have fun anymore. Did I talk about this article Kate read that ticked me off? I think I did. It asked the reader (Kate, in this instance) whether or not the father (me) is mature enough to be a suitable father. The example that it gave was of someone quoting "Family Guy" to the in-laws. Ok. I'm prudent enough to not quote it, but does this article expect me to stop enjoying it? I have three volumes of "Family Guy" that I'm not giving up. I'm not going to give up drinking occasionally, playing video games, reading comic books, and dorky television just because I happen to be a parent now. Kids rule their parents' lives. It's true. That doesn't mean the parents have to become ascetic. Having things around that you enjoy becomes even more crucial when you're a parent, IMHO. You need an outlet that is totally your thing. Something that you identify with; your identity is on seriously shifting sand -- it's good to have something that is a constant to bridge the time spent before you were a parent and the time now that you are a parent. You're not a totally different person. Why make the transition harder than it already is? Stupid stupid stupid.

Today we visited Aislin's Great Grandmother in Lebanon. She was very surprised and excited to see us. My parents planned it as an early Mother's Day present for her. She didn't expect us to be comfortable with the trip, but we totally were. Even stopped at Burgerville on the way back. Totally got sick. Oh yeah. We're awesome. Aislin was super good over there too. She was peaceful for the majority of the time, and then she got hungry and let us know. After Kate fed her, she was awake and looking around and showed off her growing neck muscles. Grandma held her as she squirmed and looked around. It was a very special moment. Mom got lots of pictures.

I'm over halfway through Abraham Lincoln too. The thing about history books that is different from fictional literature is that you're really only challenged with remembering who all the names belong to. In fiction you're constantly on the lookout for symbolism and irony and themes; it's a much more active process. Reading history books is a much more informative pastime.

Well I'm sure this is a very enjoyable blog post. Here: I'll redeem it by talking about Aislin some more. She smiled at me again today, and this time Kate and Peggy saw her do it. Heh heh. Actually, it's not that funny because I think Kate is seriously jealous of me now. She was talking to me about it and laughing, but I could tell she was welling up a bit. Damn but I got to keep the postpartum off. Plus she's told me time and again: she laughs when she feels anything -- any type of joy or pain. She laughed when Bina died. It's not to be taken lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment