Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dinner, light reading, and general catching up

Today our friends Joel and Heather came over and made dinner. It was really nice to see our friends. They hung out for a while and we all caught up; it was a good time. I loaned Heather more of my comics EVEN THOUGH she still hasn't returned the ones I loaned her last time! I'm just kidding; it's not a big deal. Aislin slept through most of their visit.

As a matter of fact, Aislin slept through most of the day. That doesn't bode well for our nighttime. She had an active period earlier today which was assuaged by a timely bottle intervention, and soon afterward she was attached to Kate for hours. She does this trick I'm pretty sure I've talked about: she fusses, then eats, falls asleep, wakes up when we move her to her bed, remembers she was eating, repeat. Sometimes she's hysterical enough to have a hard time latching on. That sounds like it may be the case at this moment. My friend Luke said she was a quiet baby: even when she screamed it wasn't as loud as he's heard other children. The girl working at our landlord's office, Heidi, said that there hadn't been any complaints from our neighbors. Both nice things. But for us, when she screams it's pushing it. She's terribly cute when she screams. She scrunches up her face and opens her mouth as wide as she can. If only she were more easily comforted.

I'm plowing through Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and finding it enjoyable. There are parts that are just too silly, but other parts that are more history textbook. Of course, I guess that's what I bargained for. I'm sure Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is part too silly, part serious literature in a similar vein. I'm just over halfway through this book now, and pleased with my progress. I'm trying to decide what to read next. I want to read Angels and Demons but I think I should see the movie first. The book is normally better, and with The DaVinci Code that was certainly the case. If you read the book first, therefore, it ruins the movie. But if the book is better anyway, you lose very little by seeing the movie first. Ha! Foolproof logic, right there. You're welcome.

Haven't heard anything on the job application. I requested more letters of recommendation today from some of my favorite professors. Whatever they have to say on my behalf could only help. The whole thing has made me anxious. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll keep you posted, avid readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment