Tuesday, July 6, 2010

When panic strikes

So I have to relay this adventure I just had really quick.

I was just helping my friend Stu move to a new apartment. Kate was at work so I had Aislin with me. As we were taking things down the first floor hall to his door, his phone started beeping so he turned it off. We made several trips down to the car and back to his room, and then went to his old place for a second load.

When all we had left was his television, Aislin woke up and was hungry. Stu volunteered to get the t.v. himself, and I asked if he could bring the diaper bag back with him. He hurried off, and I got to work trying to appease the suddenly angry baby. When Stu returned, he had forgotten the diaper bag. He gave me the keys and I left the baby with him.

I ran down the hall and out the door. Then I realized I would need a key to get back in. I tried calling Stu, but his phone was off.

I got to the car, pulled out the diaper bag, and ran around the building to the back. These apartments all had mini decks in the back that looked over the railroad tracks. I found the right one and tried calling to Stu, but he couldn't hear me over the bloody murder. I gently tossed the bag over the railing, climbed over, and knocked on the door.

Now all three of us were frantic. I pulled out Aislin's bottle and filled it. As I shook the bottle to mix the formula, milk leaked all over the sink. The lid holding the rubber nipple had cracked, and milk was leaking profusely. I tried using it anyway, but formula poured all over Aislin's face. She screamed so loud. Stu asked if she was a child or a banshee. I said she was a little of both as I strapped her into her car seat. She stopped crying on the drive home.

Anyway, it was a pretty wild adventure in the life of Steve McClain. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment