Sunday, April 25, 2010

Late-Night Dining

Normally when I'm up this late it's doing something more enjoyable, i.e. hanging with friends or playing Halo. There was a time when being up this late meant homework, but those days have passed. Not tonight. No gaming, no friends. Just a hungry 10-day old baby. On April 14, my life changed forever. My wife gave birth to our daughter, Aislin. Spell check tells me that's not a familiar word. It's not familiar to anyone, evidently. No one has gotten it right yet. A-zlin. Just like it's spelled. What's so hard about that? It's probably anti-Celtic sentiment. Or not.

Tonight, like the past ten nights, I have waked from my peaceful slumber to a small child screaming with a voice that by all rights is too big for her little body. She's in the nursery now, and her mom's feeding her. She's been feeding her for quite a while. Aislin has jaundice so she falls asleep while she's nursing and wakes up as soon as we move her and starts wailing again. At least we get to see her open eyes. They're gorgeous. If you held her head up to the clear night sky and she opened her eyes, you'd swear there were two little holes in her head that you could see through. Anyway, I digress. She takes a long time to eat because she keeps falling asleep. There. That's all.

It makes me kind of grumpy. At least my wife's here. God knows how I'll fare when she has to go back to work. Last night I fed Aislin a bottle and she kept looking at me suspiciously. I was obviously not Mommy, but she was getting fed nonetheless. It's just something I'll have to get used to. I knew what I was getting into eight months ago. Now we'll see how I do.

1 comment:

  1. Steve!! The first thing I thought when Kelsie pointed me to your blog is, 'That's what I want to be when I grow up!' (referring to Stay-At-Home Dad). I look forward to reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete